Let’s say you’re in the mood for tacos or fajitas, but you just know that no taco / fajita is complete without refried beans. Unfortunately, you’ve fallen into one of the following scenarios:
- You don’t have any refried beans
- You’re on a strict meal plan and can’t eat canned refried beans
- You don’t trust “refried beans” in a can
- You just want to make something yourself because you’re an adult, damnit, and refried beans shouldn’t be hard.
Well, you’re in luck! I’m going to tell you how to make delicious, nutritious, and meal-plan approved refried beans!
- Beans. This part should have been evident. I’m using canned black beans, but you can use pretty much any sort of bean you like.
- A jalapeno
- Onion powder (optional)
- Chili powder (optional)
- An immersion blender, or a non-immersion blender, or a fork and a lot of patience.
Step 1: Dump can of beans into a pot – including the juice.
Step 2: Remove seeds and stem from jalapeno and cut into chunks. Put chunks in pot with beans.
Step 3: Add 1/4tsp of salt. Or more, or less, depending on how salty you like things.
Step 4: Optionally add 1/2tsp of onion powder
Step 5: Optionally add 1tsp of chili powder
Step 6: Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes
Step 7: Remove from heat and blend with immersion blender until thick and smooth.
Step 8: Apply refried beans to food of your choosing, inserting into mouth for maximum enjoyment. ** Note: allow beans to cool before inserting into mouth.